School and Community Group Lessons
At BaySwim, we create safer communities by providing one-off and multi-day group lessons at specific days and times. The lessons cover learn-to-swim or water education/safety skills development. Here’s what’s on offer…
Coastguard Safe Boating
We offer a Safe Boating Programme with a focus on practical boating and water safety experience for children – regardless of their confidence in the water.
The programme focuses on:
- Recognition of potential dangers/hazards
- In-water survival techniques
- Essential safety equipment (e.g. correct lifejacket selection and fitting)
- The importance of communications
- Taking responsibility for personal safety
Boating activities are taught in a fun, controlled, and safe environment.
BaySwim’s water safety lessons and programmes can be tailored to meet the age and ability of the group and are suitable for any sized group, three years and over.
Sessions focus on:
- Keeping safe in and around water
- Safe entry and exit of water
- How to rescue others while keeping safe
- How to stay afloat
- Importance of staying together
- How to fit and use life jackets correctly
- Experience the use of life jackets in deep water
- Tools to keeping calm and signalling for help
TECT Water Skills for Life
BaySwim proudly supports this initiative and works alongside Sport Bay of Plenty, Water Safety NZ, and TECT to deliver the Water Skills for Life programme at our venues across Tauranga.
This programme supports 10 Western Bay of Plenty schools without pools, by subsidising the cost of water safety sessions and transport to the pool if required.
The programme focuses on improving students’ confidence and ability for the following water survival competencies:
- Water Safety and Awareness
- Getting in and out of the water
- Personal Buoyancy
- Safety Propulsion
More information about the water survival competencies can be found on the Water Safety New Zealand website.